Kreon 10000 indications
Kreon 10000 (pancrelipase delayed-release minimicrospheres) Capsules are indicated for patients with pancreatic exocrine insufficiency as is often associated with:
- cystic fibrosis
- chronic pancreatitis
- post-gastrointestinal bypass surgery (e.g., Billroth II gastroenterostomy)
- ductal obstruction from neoplasm (e.g., of the pancreas or common bile duct)
How should I use Kreon 10000?
Use Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules by mouth with each meal or snack as directed by your doctor. Do not take without food.
- Swallow Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules whole with enough liquid to swallow it completely. Do not break, crush, chew, or hold Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules in your mouth before swallowing. Doing so may increase the risk of mouth or tongue irritation from Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules. Follow with a glass of water or juice. Contact your doctor if you experience mouth or tongue irritation while taking Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules.
- If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open it and sprinkle the contents over soft, bland food. Do NOT crush or chew the contents of the capsule. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions about what kind of food can be mixed with Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules.
- If you mix the medicine with food, swallow the entire mixture right away. Do not save it for use at a later time. Drink a glass of water or juice after you swallow the mixture.
- Continue to take Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once or take a dose without a snack or a meal.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kreon 10000 delayed-release capsules.
Uses of Kreon 10000 in details
This medication contains digestive enzymes to help break down and digest fats, starch, and proteins in food. It is used in conditions where the pancreas cannot make or does not release enough digestive enzymes into the small intestines to digest the food (e.g., chronic pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis, cancer of the pancreas, post-pancreatectomy, post-gastrointestinal bypass surgery).
How to use Kreon 10000
Some brands of this medication have a Medication Guide provided by your pharmacist. If one is available, read the Medication Guide before your start taking this medication and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Take this medication by mouth with meals and snacks as directed by your doctor. Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush or chew the capsules or keep the capsules in your mouth. Doing so can irritate the mouth and also change the way the medication works.
If swallowing is difficult, then the capsule may be opened and the contents mixed in a small amount of liquid or soft food that does not need to be chewed (such as room-temperature applesauce). Do not mix the contents of the capsule with alkaline food or liquid (such as milk, ice cream, tea). Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more information about what foods/liquids (such as infant formula, breast milk) to avoid when mixing. Swallow the food or liquid right away, making sure not to chew the medication. Drink a glass of water or juice after swallowing the food to make sure all the medication is swallowed. Do not save the medication mixture for later.
Dosage is based on your medical condition, diet, weight, and response to treatment. Do not take more capsules in a day than prescribed by your doctor. Your condition will not improve any faster, and your risk of side effects will increase.
Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Take it with every meal or snack.
If your doctor has recommended that you follow a special diet, it is very important to follow the diet to get the most benefit from this medication.
Do not change brands or dosage forms of pancrelipase without consulting your doctor or pharmacist. Different products may contain different amounts of the digestive enzymes.
Inform your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
Kreon 10000 dosage
Clinical experience should dictate initial starting dose. Doses should be taken during meals or snacks, not before or after. Do not take without food.
Adults and Children Over 6 Years Old
Usual initial starting dosage is two to four Kreon 10000 (pancrelipase delayed-release minimicrospheres) Capsules per meal or snack.
What other drugs will affect Kreon 10000?
Antacids should not be taken concomitantly with Kreon 10000 as the alkaline pH may destroy the enteric-coating.
What are the possible side effects of Kreon 10000?
Applies to pancrelipase: oral capsule, oral capsule delayed release, oral powder, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
As well as its needed effects, pancrelipase may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
Major Side Effects
If any of the following side effects occur while taking pancrelipase, check with your doctor immediately:
- Skin rash or hives
With high doses
- Bowel blockage
- stomach cramps or pain
With very high doses
- Blood in the urine
- joint pain
- swelling of the feet or lower legs
With powder dosage form or powder from opened capsules - if breathed in
- Shortness of breath
- stuffy nose
- tightness in the chest
- trouble breathing
With tablets - if held in mouth
- Irritation of the mouth
Back to top